I am blessed to have such a great group of Grade One students! We had a busy couple of days learning routines and procedures to help make our year go smoothly. We also had a lot of fun getting to know each other, and learning to work together through a Lego building activity. We talked about creating a classroom where we show God’s love to each other. Students were challenged to think of ways they can show love and kindness to their friends on the playground and in the classroom. If you get moment, please talk with them about this and help them come up with some ways they can show God’s love this week in school.
As we look to next week, there are a number of events to be aware of:
- Monday, September 10 – ESL Parent Orientation Night
- This is for parents of GCS students that are part of our ESL program. The event begins at 6:30 pm in the chapel area.
- Tuesday, September 11 – Meet the Teacher
- Parents are invited to the school to meet their child’s teachers from 3:30-5:00 pm. This is a “drop-in” event. I look forward to meeting you and providing you with an opportunity to visit your child’s learning environment.
- Wednesday, September 12 – GCS Community Event
- All students and their families are invited to our GCS Community Event from 5:00 – 7:00 pm. Please wear your GCS clothing to demonstrate your school pride. Please watch our social media accounts for more details.
- Friday, September 14 – Terry Fox Run
- 2:00-3:00 pm – While we are not sending our students out to canvas the community, any donations received will be added to the proceeds of our first Casual Day and sent to support cancer research. Parents are most welcome to join us in celebrating Terry’s life and his cause!
Ribbon Cutting Ceremony:
Late on Thursday evening GCS launched a 24 Hour Knight’s Challenge to raise $24,000. If you have not been a part of the 24 Hour Knight’s Challenge yet, there is still time! Each student has received a pledge form for the 24 Hour Knight’s Challenge. Please return your pledge form and payment to your child’s homeroom teacher by Monday if you wish to be included in this Challenge!
There are also online and texting opportunities to support GCS as well. Visit http://tithe.ly/give_new/www/#/tithely/give-one-time/58384 or text “GIVE” to (204) 817-6871 to contribute to our on-going Buy A Brick Campaign.
Your Child’s Teachers:
As the lead Gr 1 teacher, I will be responsible for teaching your child Math, Language, Spelling, Reading and Social Studies. Your child will be blessed to have multiple teachers throughout the week for various content areas:
- Mrs. MacNeill: Science
- Mrs. McGonnell: Bible
- Mrs. Biech: Library
- Mrs. Able: Art
- Mrs. Wilting: Music
- Mrs. Laird: French & Gym
- Mrs. Wainwright: Reading Group
GCS Apparel & Online Store:
Visit our online GCS Clothing store to get all of your school and athletic apparel. Show your school spirit with high quality shirts, jackets, hoodies, and more. Shipping is free and most clothing is custom designed by you! Check it out: http://gracecs.entripyshops.com/
Students in Grade 1 are very busy throughout the week, and in efforts to make every day run smoothly, we ask that they come prepared for each of their classes. Please take note of their weekly class schedule that will be send home in your child’s school agenda this week.
Students in Grade One will have homework each night. Homework will consist of the following items:
- Reading out loud to an adult for 15 minutes
- A nightly review of the Handbook for Reading (See your child’s agenda)
- Review of the week’s Bible Verse (Located in their blue homework folder)
- Review of the Weekly Spelling List (Starting Oct 1st)
At GCS we strive to foster the love of reading at an early age. This year’s reading homework will allow your child to choose a book that they are interested in reading. Please use the reading log, located in their blue homework folder, to record your child’s reading each night. ESL students will have additional homework from the ESL Department which will be tracked using the SeeSaw App.
Milk Orders & School Lunch Program:
We are pleased to offer the milk program again this year! More information will follow in the coming weeks.
After School Care:
With the majority of families in today’s society having both Mom and Dad in the workforce, Grace Christian School has recognized the need for additional support for your child during the after-school hours. We are blessed to offer a comprehensive After-School Program, Monday to Friday, from 3:00 PM – 5:30 PM, within our school building. This option is available to all elementary students for a fee of $12/child or $16/family. This fee includes a light snack, opportunities for homework assistance, and outdoor play when possible. If you would like to use our after-school program, please contact Mrs. Victoria Kelly (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more details.
Athletics Camps & Clubs
Grade one students will have the opportunity to take part in many after school activities this year. You will also find that your child has received a permission slip outlining the details for both a soccer camp and a tumbling club. These permission slips are located in your child’s agenda. Please return these permission slips and payment early next week if your child wishes to participate.
Sep 10 – Parent ESL Orientation Night
Sep 11 – Meet the Teacher
Sep 12 – GCS Carnival
Sep 14 – Terry Fox Run
Sep 28 – Professional Development Day (No Class)
Oct 8 – Thanksgiving (No Class)
Enjoy your Sunday! Looking forward to a new week together.