We had a wonderful start to our new school year, and I am feeling very blessed to have this sweet group of children in my charge. There are so many things to be thankful for, including the following events coming up this week:
- Monday, September 10 – ESL Parent Orientation Night
- This is for parents of GCS students that are part of our ESL program. The event begins at 6:30 pm in the chapel area.
- Tuesday, September 11 – Meet the Teacher
- Parents are invited to the school to meet their child’s teachers from 3:30-5:00 pm. This is a “drop-in” event. I look forward to meeting you and providing you with an opportunity to visit your child’s learning environment.
- Wednesday, September 12 – GCS Community Event
- All students and their families are invited to our GCS Community Event from 5:00 – 7:00 pm. Please wear your GCS clothing to demonstrate your school pride. Please watch our social media accounts for more details.
- Friday, September 14 – Terry Fox Run
- 2:00-3:00 pm – While we are not sending our students out to canvas the community, any donations received will be added to the proceeds of our first Casual Day and sent to support cancer research. Parents are most welcome to join us in celebrating Terry’s life and his cause!
Ribbon Cutting Ceremony:
Late on Thursday evening GCS launched a 24 Hour Knight’s Challenge to raise $24,000. If you have not been a part of the 24 Hour Knight’s Challenge yet, there is still time! Each student has received a pledge form for the 24 Hour Knight’s Challenge. Please return your pledge form and payment to your child’s homeroom teacher by Monday if you wish to be included in this Challenge!
There are also online and texting opportunities to support GCS as well. Visit http://tithe.ly/give_new/www/#/tithely/give-one-time/58384 or text “GIVE” to (204) 817-6871 to contribute to our on-going Buy A Brick Campaign.
Your Child’s Teachers:
As the lead Gr 3 teacher, I will be responsible for teaching your child Math, Language and Reading/Writing, Spelling, and Social Studies. Your child will be blessed to have multiple teachers throughout the week for various content areas:
- Mrs. McGonnell: Bible
- Mrs. Bouter: Art
- Mrs. Wilting: Music
- Mrs. Laird: French & Gym
GCS Apparel & Online Store:
Visit our online GCS Clothing store to get all of your school and athletic apparel. Show your school spirit with high quality shirts, jackets, hoodies, and more. Shipping is free and most clothing is custom designed by you! Check it out: http://gracecs.entripyshops.com/
Students in Grade 3 are very busy throughout the week, and in efforts to make every day run smoothly, we ask that they come prepared for each of their classes. Please take note of their weekly class schedule which has been sent home in their school agenda.
Although most class assignments are completed throughout the day in class, there are a number of items that students should be spending time on each night. These homework items include: spelling & vocabulary review, reading for a minimum of 15 minutes, as well as Bible memory work. Any unfinished classwork in Math or Language must also be completed. Weekly math quizzes or tests and spelling quizzes will be administered on Fridays.
Milk Orders & School Lunch Program:
We are pleased to offer the milk program again this year! More information will follow in the coming weeks.
After School Care:
We are blessed to offer a comprehensive After-School Program, Monday to Friday, from 3:00 PM – 5:30 PM, within our school building. This option is available to all elementary students for a fee of $12/child or $16/family. This fee includes a light snack, opportunities for homework assistance, and outdoor play when possible. If you would like to use our after-school program, please contact Mrs. Victoria Kelly (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more details.
Athletics Camps & Clubs
Beginning this Monday, students in Grade 3 have the option of training for cross-country running beginning immediately after school until 4:15 PM. You will also find that your child has received a permission slip outlining the details for both a soccer camp and a tumbling club. Please return these permission slips and payment early next week if your child wishes to participate.
Sep 10 – Parent ESL Orientation Night
Sep 11 – Meet the Teacher
Sep 12 – GCS Carnival
Sep 14 – Terry Fox Run
Sep 28 – Professional Development Day (No Class)
Oct 8 – Thanksgiving (No Class)
Here’s to a great week! I look forward to meeting you all on Tuesday after school!