Wow! What a great first few days we have had in our Grade Two Learning Studio. We had a busy first few days talking about what our year will look like and getting use to our beautiful new space. As we get into our first full week students will begin learning in our main content areas as well as getting to begin learning and creating in their speciality area classes. As we begin exploring different exciting online learning resources we would appreciate if you could supply your child with a pair of headphones to bring and keep at school. Thank you for all you have done in preparing your child for this new adventure.
- Monday, September 10 – ESL Parent Orientation Night
- This is for parents of GCS students that are part of our ESL program. The event begins at 6:30 pm in the chapel area.
- Tuesday, September 11 – Meet the Teacher
- Parents are invited to the school to meet their child’s teachers from 3:30-5:00 pm. This is a “drop-in” event. I look forward to meeting you and providing you with an opportunity to visit your child’s learning environment.
- Wednesday, September 12 – GCS Community Event
- All students and their families are invited to our GCS Community Event from 5:00 – 7:00 pm. Please wear your GCS clothing to demonstrate your school pride. Please watch our social media accounts for more details.
- Friday, September 14 – Terry Fox Run
- 2:00-3:00 pm – While we are not sending our students out to canvas the community, any donations received will be added to the proceeds of our first Casual Day and sent to support cancer research. Parents are most welcome to join us in celebrating Terry’s life and his cause!
Ribbon Cutting Ceremony:
Late on Thursday evening, GCS launched a 24 Hour Knight’s Challenge to raise $24,000. If you have not been a part of the 24 Hour Knight’s Challenge yet, there is still time! Each student has received a pledge form for the 24 Hour Knight’s Challenge. Please return your pledge form and payment to your child’s homeroom teacher by Monday if you wish to be included in this Challenge!
There are also online and texting opportunities to support GCS as well. Visit http://tithe.ly/give_new/www/#/tithely/give-one-time/58384 or text “GIVE” to (204) 817-6871 to contribute to our on-going Buy A Brick Campaign.
GCS Apparel & Online Store:
Visit our online GCS Clothing store to get all of your school and athletic apparel. Show your school spirit with high quality shirts, jackets, hoodies, and more. Shipping is free and most clothing is custom designed by you! Check it out: http://gracecs.entripyshops.com/
Milk Orders & School Lunch Program:
We are pleased to offer the milk program again this year! More information will follow in the coming weeks.
After School Care:
With the majority of families in today’s society having both Mom and Dad in the workforce, Grace Christian School has recognized the need for additional support for your child during the after-school hours. We are blessed to offer a comprehensive After-School Program, Monday to Friday, from 3:00 PM – 5:30 PM, within our school building. This option is available to all elementary students for a fee of $12/child or $16/family. This fee includes a light snack, opportunities for homework assistance, and outdoor play when possible. If you would like to use our after-school program, please contact Mrs. Victoria Kelly (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more details.
Athletic Camps and Clubs
Beginning this Wednesday our Grade Two students have been given the opportunity to take part in a Soccer Camp as well as a new to GCS Tumbling Club on Friday (I will be helping out with this one). Please read through the permission slip sent home if your child has an interest in either area and send it back to school.
Assignments and Quizzes
Friday – On Friday your child’s Homework Spelling Notebook will be handed in.
Friday – Spelling Quiz (List #1)
As your child’s homeroom teacher I will be covering Math, Language, Spelling, Penmanship, Reading, Social Studies, and Digital Literacy however, as you look below you will see that your child will be learning from many other teachers in exciting speciality areas.
Art – Mrs. Able
Science – Mrs. MacNeill
Bible – Mrs. McGonnell
Gym – Mrs. Laird
French – Mrs. Smylie
Music – Mrs. Wilting
ESL – Mrs. Arthurs and Mrs. DeBoer
Library – Mrs. Biech
Sep 10 – Parent ESL Orientation Night
Sep 11 – Meet the Teacher
Sep 12 – GCS Carnival
Sep 14 – Terry Fox Run
Sep 28 – Professional Development Day (No Class)
Oct 8 – Thanksgiving (No Class)