Greetings! I final quarter of the school year is here! I look forward to the days we can spend outside learning and enjoying school-wide events. This week we will be having CAT testing to gauge our students understanding of the content taught. Because of CAT testing, we will not be having Spelling, Math, or Phonics quizzes in our Grade 1/2 class. Please take note of important events below to remain in the loop as this year comes to a close.
Show and Tell
This Monday, April 16th, we will be having a class Show and Tell. Students are asked to bring in one thing to show the class. We are allowing students to bring in technology items with the understanding that they will be staying at my desk until Show and Tell time.
Canadian Achievement Test (CAT)
This week GCS students from Kindergarten through to Grade 12 will be writing a Canadian Achievement Test. The CAT is a testing system that assesses the essential learning outcomes of the following basic skill areas: reading, language, spelling, and mathematics. Essentially, as well as being a tracker of learning abilities, the CAT also evaluates how well students perform in comparison to other students across Canada as a whole.
A Knight To Remember
Thank you to all of you who have already purchased tickets for A Knight to Remember! A friendly reminder that this week is the last week to purchase your tickets. Tickets are $30 each and can be purchased at the school office. We are looking forward to seeing you all out to support our Knight honorees- Mrs. Laird, Mrs. Barrett & Mr. Thompson.
Report Cards & Parent-Teacher Conference
The third quarter report cards are being sent home with your child(ren) this Thursday, April 19 after school. Report cards will not be available before 3:00 PM.
Parent-Teacher Conferences are scheduled for Thursday evening (April 19) from 6-9pm and Friday morning (April 20) from 10am-12pm. We are again using SignUp.com to sign up for conferences this quarter.
USING SIGNUP.COM TO REGISTER
- Go to http://signup.com/go/rkMioLs
- Click “view” beside the teacher’s name you want to sign up for first (orange box)
- Choose an available timeslot for that teacher by clicking the green “sign up” button
- Log in via Facebook OR enter your email address (you need to click “confirm” on the next page)
- Fill in your name and your child’s name; your phone number is NOT required
- Click “save and done”
- Click “save” at the top of the screen (blue and white box)
- You will see a confirmation screen and will also receive a reminder email about that conference time/teacher; it is advised that you also record your interview teacher/time separately.
- If you have more teachers to sign up for, click the blue/white “Go back to all signups” button and repeat steps 2-7.
- If you would like assistance signing up for conferences, GCS representatives will be just inside the school entrance on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday from 3:00-3:15pm to help you sign up.
Family Fun Run
The Family Fun Run is less than one month away! The GCS Family Fun Run is a run/walk event that will take place on Saturday, May 5th, which promotes physical fitness and brings the community together. All the proceeds will go towards our school P.E program to buy some sports equipment. We want everyone to join us in the event whether you are an athlete or a couch potato!
It’s not too late to register! Our standard registration is open until Wednesday, April 18th. With standard registration, a single – entry fee is $25.00 with one free T-shirt and a family entry fee is $40.00 with two free T-shirts. Additional t-shirts may be purchased with your form for $10 until April 18th. Click this link https://goo.gl/u3TyLE or go to the school’s office to register. We hope to see you all there!
April 19 – Parent Teacher Conferences (pm)
April 20 – Parent Teacher Conferences (No Class)
April 27 – A Knight to Remember Celebration
May 4 – Professional Development Day
May 5 – Family Fun Run