Greetings! I am so thankful to have a class of students eager to learn and do their best as was evident through our first few days of school together. I am excited to see what this year has in store for Gr. 1 and 2. Make sure you stay tuned in to our blog as we discuss all important dates pertaining to our fun-filled school year.
Mrs. Wainwright and I would like to extend a huge thank-you to those who donated a microwave to our class. We appreciate the kindness of this gesture and how it will aid in helping our school year run smoothly. When sending food with your child that needs to be heated please be conscious of sending something that will only require a minute of microwave time as we have a full classroom of students to accommodate.
As we look to next week, there are a number of events to be aware of:
- Monday, September 11 – ESL Parent Orientation Night
- This is for parents of GCS students that are part of our ESL program. The event begins at 6:00 pm in the chapel area.
- Tuesday, September 12 – Meet the Teacher
- Parents are invited to the school to meet their child’s teachers from 3:30-5:30 pm. This is a “drop-in” event. I look forward to meeting you and providing you with an opportunity to visit your child’s learning environment.
- Wednesday, September 13 – GCS Back to School Carnival
- All students and their families are invited to our GCS Carnival from 4:30-6:30 pm. There will be games, inflatables, and snacks galore! Admission is free, however snacks and drinks can be purchased for $1 each. Please wear your GCS clothing for a chance to win great prizes!
- Friday, September 15 – Terry Fox Run
- 2:00-3:00 pm – While we are not sending our students out to canvas the community, any donations received will be added to the proceeds of our first Casual Day and sent to support cancer research. Parents are most welcome to join us in celebrating Terry’s life and his cause!
In an effort to promote school spirit on a daily basis, we encourage all families to purchase GCS-branded clothing. We have a limited number of new GCS tshirts available for purchase ($15) today or at our school carnival on Wednesday. There are child and adult sizes available. For a greater selection of clothing/apparel, visit our online school clothing store here.
After School Care:
With the majority of families in today’s society having both Mom and Dad in the workforce, Grace Christian School has recognized the need for additional support for your child during the after-school hours. We are blessed to offer a comprehensive After-School Program, Monday to Friday, from 3:00 PM – 5:30 PM, within our school building. This option is available to all elementary students for a fee of $12/child or $16/family. This fee includes a light snack, opportunities for homework assistance, and outdoor play when possible. If you would like to use our after-school program, please contact Mrs. Victoria Kelly (email@example.com) for more details.
Reading: This week we begin reading homework. During our day we facilitate reading circles to foster the skills required to become a fluent reader. We ask our parents partner with us through the assigned reading homework by encouraging their practice at home as well.
Bible memory verse: The first verse our students will be memorizing is our theme verse this year. “Anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!” 2 Corinthians 5:17. Throughout the year students will be guided by Mrs. McGonnell through memorizing these verses in Bible class. Practicing these verses will be a part of our daily homework in Grade 1 and 2.
Parent helpers: We are looking for parent volunteers who would enjoy coming in a morning a week to experience what goes on in our class and to help our students throughout the day. We understand that many jobs and commitments make this a challenge but if your time and schedule allows we would love to have you! Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if this is something that interests you.
Friday: Spelling test list #1 (For Gr. 2 only)
Sep 11 – Parent ESL Orientation Night
Sep 12 – Meet the Teacher
Sep 13 – GCS Carnival
Sep 15 – Terry Fox Run
Oct 6 – Professional Development Day (No Class)
Oct 9 – Thanksgiving (No Class)