News You Can Use for November
Thank you for partnering with us in your child’s educational journey. We’ve had a very eventful and positive first quarter of the school year and all are enjoying our new facilities!
The first quarter report cards are being sent home with your child(ren) next Thursday, November 15 after school.
Parent-Teacher Conferences are scheduled for Thursday evening (November 15) from 6-9pm and Friday morning (November 16) from 10am-12pm. As we did last year, we will use SignUp.com, an online web-based platform, for parents registering for conferences with their child’s teachers. The details are below.
Please remember that these conferences are an important opportunity for parents and teachers to partner together in the student’s academic, social, and emotional success. While we know that you often want to meet with each of your child’s teachers, it may be difficult to schedule conferences with all of them; therefore, we understand if you are able to meet with only a few of your child’s teachers. Be aware that each conference is scheduled for 10 minutes; if you require a longer time or cannot efficiently schedule a meeting during the two conference days, please contact the teacher directly to set up an alternative meeting date/time. If you miss your registered time slot, please contact the teacher directly to arrange a conference on a different day the next week.
If it is necessary to have your children with you, they are to be under your direct supervision at all times in the school building. Due to safety considerations and church function reasons, the gym and church sections of the building are off-limits.
USING SIGNUP.COM TO REGISTER
- Go to http://signup.com/go/DfqrWZs
- Click “view” beside the teacher’s name you want to sign up for first (orange box)
- Choose an available timeslot for that teacher by clicking the green “sign up” button
- Log in via Facebook OR enter your email address (you need to click “confirm” on the next page)
- Fill in your name and your child’s name; your phone number is NOT required
- Click “save and done”
- Click “save” at the top of the screen (blue and white box)
- You will see a confirmation screen and will also receive a reminder email about that conference time/teacher; it is advised that you also record your interview teacher/time separately, especially if you are meeting with multiple teachers.
If you have more teachers to sign up for, click the blue/white “Go back to all signups” button and repeat steps 2-7
- Please select only one timeslot per teacher; if you wish to change timeslots, you can click the link in your reminder email and delete the original timeslot and choose a new one
- If you wish to create an account (simply by adding a password), you can do so (it’s free!); this allows you to see a digital list of all of your signups for this parent-teacher conference date. Just click the “register” button at the top and register using the same email address you used to sign up for the conferences.
- The signup website will be available/open until 4:00pm on Thursday, November 15. Please ensure you register for any necessary conference times before that time.
- Physical Education 10 and Biology 10 have separate sign-up forms to ensure that both teachers in each of these courses are available to meet with you together. If you need a conference for either of these courses, be sure to choose the appropriate signup form (as opposed to just with one of those teachers).
- There will be Translators for your convenience.
If you would like assistance signing up for conferences, GCS representatives will be in the school Atrium on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 3:00-3:30pm to help you sign up.
Annual Pancake Breakfast will be taking place in just a few weeks. On Saturday, Nov. 24th from 8am – 11am, all GCS families are invited to take part in this community building event! Ticket sales will begin next Wednesday, Nov. 14th and forms will be sent home with students for ticket orders. Tickets are $5.00 each and children under the age of 5 eat for free. Tickets will also be available for purchase at the door.
In addition to the Pancake Breakfast, there will be “Buy It Now” items available for purchase, such as baked goods. All proceeds from ticket sales and the “Buy It Now” items will be allocated to the Buy A Brick Campaign.
We are also looking for people willing to donate baked goods for the “Buy It Now” items. If you are interested in helping in this way, email Michaela Arthurs at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
GCS Apparel: On Fridays we have been given the privilege to wear GCS clothing (with the exception of this Friday). A reminder that when wearing GCS apparel, that the outer layer must be GCS apparel, you cannot wear another sweater, cardigan, etc. over top.
Shoebox Drop Off Week: Next week, GBC is the drop-off depot for Operation Christmas Child. Make sure to bring your shoebox to chapel on Nov. 14.
Bricks of Honour: You can purchase bricks in the name of someone to honour them. These names are posted on the GCS wall in the atrium.
Remember there are no classes Monday November 11, 2018 & Friday, November 16th for Parent Teacher Conferences.