It’s that time of year when we celebrate our Creator God and the wonder of science! We have a full week of activities planned. Pay special attention to Tuesday as it is Dress like a Scientist Day. That means that your child can come to school dressed as a person in any occupation that would use science. It’s a whole lot of nerdy fun! Take a look at the schedule below. Bolded events are things that the grade 3/4 class will participate in.
Monday, October 16th
Collaborative Learning Centers with Mrs. MacNeill & Mr. Ellis:
- 9:00 -10:05: (Grade 5 – 8) Building Future Cities For The Aging Population
- 10:10-11:45: (Grade 9-12) Building A Self-Reliant City Of The Future
- 11:45-12:30: (Pre-K-Grade 4) Building A Safe & Innovative School Playground
Tuesday, October 17th
- Dress Like a Scientist Day – Students are encouraged to come dressed like a scientist or any professional in the science, technology, engineering, or math fields.
Thursday, October 19th
- 12:15: Science-themed Snacks
- 12:30: High School Kahoot Challenge
Friday, October 20th
- 10:10-11:10: Future Farms Presentation
- 1:00 – 3:00: Jr High Enrichment Classes (various STEAM-related activities)
- 1:00 – 2:00: Gr 1/2 Elementary Science Lab
- 2:00 – 3:00: Gr 3/4 Science-themed Art Class
- 2:00 – 3:00: Gr 5/6 Elementary Engineering Exercise
Say cheese! This Thursday, students will have their picture taken by Lifetouch. These pictures are used for the school year book so students should bring their best smiles!
Studying Math Facts
I am very proud of the students for how well they are all progressing, particularly in the area of math! However, it is becoming increasingly important for all students to work on mastering their addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division math facts. I encourage students to review tables nightly, particularly the facts they have the most trouble with, so that they can move through their math work efficiently, especially as computation problems tend to get longer during the second quarter. Also, in grade three, we will begin giving oral math fact quizzes along with their regular math tests. Studying will ensure that they are prepared!
October 19 – School Pictures
October 16-20 – Science and Technology Week (with Dress Like a Scientist Day on October 17!)
October 21 – Provincial Cross Country Competition
October 26-27 – ACSI Teacher Convention (No Class)
November 10 – Remembrance Day Assembly
November 13 – Remembrance Day Observed (No Class)
November 16 – Parent Teacher Interviews (Evening)
November 17 – Parent-Teacher Interviews (No Class)
Upcoming Tests and Quizzes
- Tuesday – Math Test 3 and Oral Math Facts Quiz on 2-4 times tables
- Friday – Spelling Test 5
- Wednesday – Math Quiz 3
- Friday – Spelling Test 5