Grade 5 families,
With the first half of the year behind us, I am excited to jump into the second half this week. In Language Arts students have been writing personal narratives and have begun writing a creative narrative. In Math we have worked on multiplying decimals, estimating and rounding. In Social studies we wrapped up our study on Ancient Rome with the various contributing factors to the fall of the Roman Empire in 476AD.
Report Cards and Parent-Teacher Conferences
The second quarter report cards are being published in My School Management (MSM) next Thursday, February 4, like the first quarter report cards were earlier this year. In order to view your child(ren)’s report card(s), you must ensure that you can log in to MSM (https://gcs.myschoolmanagement.com). Report cards will not be printed.
Parent-Teacher Conferences are scheduled for Thursday evening (February 4). As we have done in previous years, we will use SignUp.com, an online web-based platform, for parents registering for conferences with their child’s teachers. The details are below.
Please remember that these conferences are an important opportunity for parents and teachers to partner together in the student’s academic, social, and emotional success. Although GCS takes pride in the partnership between parents and teachers, due to COVID-19 required guidelines, we ask that parents only schedule conferences with teachers should there be something specific they need to discuss with those teachers. Note that there are a very limited number of conference slots available for each teacher for in-person conferences (10 minute length). If you wish to schedule a meeting with a teacher outside of these conference times, please contact the teacher directly to arrange a day/time.
COVID-19 procedure requirements:
- Only parents who have registered through our Signup.com registration form are able to attend
- Only one parent per family is to attend; children are to not attend
- During each conference, social distancing should be followed
- Upon arrival, parents will check in with GCS personnel and complete the COVID self-screening form
- Parents are to wear a mask in the building.
- The gym and church sections of the building are off-limits.
USING SIGNUP.COM TO REGISTER
Click the appropriate conference signup link:
- Junior Kindergarten-Grade 6 – SIGN UP HERE
- Grade 7-12 – SIGN UP HERE
- Dr. Huizing – use the appropriate link above (elementary or jr/sr high). Remember that ESL students in Grade 7-12 will see Dr. Huizing regarding ALL courses in addition to their ESL class.
Click “view” beside the teacher’s name you want to sign up for first (orange box) Choose an available timeslot for that teacher by clicking the green “sign up” button Log in via Facebook OR enter your email address (you need to click “confirm” on the next page). Fill in your name and your child’s name; your phone number is NOT required. Click “save and done”. Click “save” at the top of the screen (blue and white box) You will see a confirmation screen and will also receive a reminder email about that conference time/teacher; it is advised that you also record your interview teacher/time separately, especially if you are meeting with multiple teachers. If you have more teachers to sign up for, click the blue/white “Go back to all signups” button and repeat the previous steps
- Please select only one timeslot per teacher; if you wish to change timeslots, you can click the link in your reminder email and delete the original timeslot and choose a new one
- If you wish to create an account (simply by adding a password), you can do so (it’s free!); this allows you to see a digital list of all of your signups for this parent-teacher conference date. Just click the “register” button at the top and register using the same email address you used to sign up for the conferences.
- The signup website will be available/open until noon on Thursday, February 4. Please ensure you register for any necessary conferences before that time.
Assignments and Assessments
- Tuesday – French Quiz on ALLER
- Wednesday – Math Test
- Thursday – Spelling List 18 Quiz
Dates to Remember:
- Thursday, Feb. 4th – Report Card Day and Parent-Teacher Conferences (5pm-7pm)
- Monday, Feb. 15th – Islander Day (No school)
That’s all for now. See you next week.