We had a wonderful start to our new school year, and I am feeling very blessed to have yet another engaging group of children in my charge. As we kick off our first full week of classes at GCS, we are also preparing to host a number of events. Please take note of the following events occurring throughout this week:
ESL Parent Orientation Night
Parents of GCS students that are part of our ESL program are invited to our ESL Parent Orientation Night this Monday, September 9th. The event begins at 6:00 pm in the chapel area of Grace Christian School.
24 Hour Knight’s Challenge
We are excited to launch our annual 24-Hour Knights Challenge on Tuesday, September 10th. Last year we raised over $21,000 in just 24 hours, thanks in part of you. We ask that you consider your personal capacity to give to this year’s challenge.
How Can I Give?
1) Gifts may be given in the form of cash, cheque, or e-transfer. Please make all cheques payable to Grace Christian School. Gifts can be delivered to the school office; however, they must be accompanied by a pledge form to receive a tax receipt.
2) Each student will receive a pledge form for the 24HR Knights Challenge on Monday. Please return the pledge form and payment to your child’s homeroom teacher by Wednesday to be included in this year’s challenge. For tax purposes, please include your name and address.
3) E-transfer donations can be sent directly to email@example.com using the password “Knights”. Please include your full name and address in the note section of the transfer for tax purposes.
4) To discuss a long-term partnership or giving plan outside the 24-hour challenge, please contact our Director of Advancement, Mrs. Natalie MacNeill, to schedule a meeting – firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meet the Teacher
Parents are invited to the school to meet their child’s teachers on Tuesday, September 10, from 3:15-4:30 pm. This is a “drop-in” event. We look forward to meeting you and providing you with an opportunity to visit your child’s learning environment.
GCS Carnival & BBQ
All GCS students and their families are invited to our GCS Carnival from 5:00 – 7:00 pm on Wednesday, September 11. Tickets for hotdogs, hamburgers, and carnival treats can be purchased on location for $2.00 each. Grab the family and head over to the GCS carnival grounds for dinner. There will be face-painting, carnival games, and inflatables for the whole family to enjoy. Please wear your GCS clothing to demonstrate your school pride.
Terry Fox Run
This Friday, September 13, from 2:00-3:00 pm the staff and students of GCS will participate in the annual Terry Fox Run. While we do not send our students out to canvas the community, any donations received will be added to the proceeds of our first Casual Day and sent to support cancer research. Parents are most welcome to join us in celebrating Terry’s life and his cause!
A copy of your child’s weekly schedule has been sent home in your child’s agenda. Please ensure that your child is coming prepared for their scheduled classes.
As the lead Grade 3 teacher, I will be responsible for teaching your child Math, Language Arts (including Reading, Creative Writing, Grammar, and Spelling), Social Studies, Genius Hour, and French. Your child will be blessed to have multiple teachers throughout the week for various content areas:
- Mrs. McGonnell: Bible
- Mrs. Bryenton: Art
- Mrs. Wilting: Music
- Mr. Wood: Gym
- Mrs. Arthurs: Penmanship & Digital Literacy
Although most class assignments are completed throughout the day in class, there are a few items that students should be spending time on each night. These homework items include spelling & vocabulary review, reading for a minimum of 15 minutes, as well as Bible memory work. Any unfinished classwork in Math or Language must also be completed. Weekly spelling tests will be administered on Fridays.
Sep 9 – Parent ESL Orientation Night
Sep 10 – Meet the Teacher
Sep 11 – GCS Carnival
Sep 13 – Terry Fox Run
Oct 11 – Professional Development Day (No Class)
Oct 14 – Thanksgiving (No Class)
Assessments This Week:
Friday: Spelling Test 1
Here’s to a great week! I look forward to meeting you all on Tuesday after school!