Dear Parents and Students,
Welcome to GCS 2021/2022! My name is Miss Kennedy. This is my sixth-year teaching and my third-year teaching grade one at GCS. I love teaching this age group and am excited to meet your children next Tuesday. I have already had the privilege of teaching art and music to some of your children when they were in kindergarten. Working with the amazing staff, students, and families at GCS is truly an honour. Our team approach enables parents and teachers to work hand-in-hand to help each child achieve their full potential. As we begin this journey together, please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. I can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling the main office.
“Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom.” -Isaiah 40:28
School Hours, Pickup and Dropoff
Our first day of school is Tuesday, Sept. 7. Drop off for elementary students will begin at 8:35am. Class begins at 8:45am. Parents are asked to stay inside their vehicle and to drop off their child in the drive-thru drop off zone only. Grade 1 Students will enter and exit through the main entrance doors. Staff will be available to support students in their routines and assist them into the school building. The elementary school day concludes at 2:45pm. Parents are asked to pick up their child promptly, once again using the drive-thru drop off/pick up zone. We have had some close calls regarding safety when parents are parking, getting out of their cars, and having children walk across the drive-thru to meet them, so please only use the drive-thru for the safety of all students and staff.
School Supply List
The full class supply list can be found here: Microsoft Word – Supply List – Gr. 1 2020-21.docx (gcspei.ca). Please make sure everything is clearly labelled with your child’s name. Please note a few minor changes to the supply list (my apologies that these were not corrected in the original document).
Each student needs
- 1 individual tub of play-doh (4 oz) labelled with your child’s name (these can be found at the dollar store or many grocery stores)
- 1 package of Crayola Super Tip Washable Markers 20 pack (currently at Walmart for $2.44 or Staples for $2.49).
- Earphones/headset for use with our Chrome books. If your child attended Kindergarten at GCS and had earphones in that class, they have been passed on to our classroom for them to use this year.
What Does My Child Need for the First Day?
- All students must have access to a personal non-medical mask on a daily basis (please clean daily). This is in following with the directives from the CPHO at this time.
- A lunch box containing a healthy snack (no candy or pop), healthy lunch, and drink in a spill-proof container. Since water fountains will be closed, we do recommend students have their own spill-proof water bottles daily.
- Backpack/kit bag
- A complete change of clothes (please place in a freezer bag with the child’s name clearly marked)
- Indoor shoes (no laces please unless your child can do them up themselves)
- School Supplies. Check out our supply list here and note changes mentioned above Microsoft Word – Supply List – Gr. 1 2020-21.docx (gcspei.ca).
- Please do not let your child bring any stuffed animals or toys from home.
Covid Self Screening
You can find the self screening tool here: COVID-19-Self-Screening-Questionnaire-21-22.pdf (gcspei.ca). Working together to ensure students who are feeling ill stay home will help us work to reduce public health measures in the future. If you would like further information about our back to school plan, you can find it here: https://www.gcspei.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Back-To-School-Plan-2021-22.pdf
I look forward to partnering with you in your child’s education. I am so excited to get to know your child and watch them learn and grow throughout this year! Please reach out with any questions or concerns.
Miss Ellie Kennedy (Bryenton)