Hello Families of GCS Kindergarten,
|It is hard to believe that just a few weeks ago we had temperatures into the double-digits and had the option of leaving our coats at home. However, with the arrival of December, it is important that all families are aware of how inclement and stormy weather can affect school and the safety of our families.
School Cancellations & Delays:
When announcements are made for a delay or closure, GCS follows the PEI Public Schools Branch. Alternatively, sometimes only certain schools will be delayed or closed and will be announced by “family of schools”; GCS follows the Bluefield Family, Colonel Gray Family, and Charlottetown Rural Family of schools. If any of these are delayed or canceled, GCS will be also.
In the case of a “one-hour delay”, school will begin at 10:00am, while a “school closure” or “system wide shutdown” results in no school at all for the day.
There are many ways to know if there is a school delay or closure; they are as follows:
- We will post on the GCS Facebook (Grace Christian School – Prince Edward Island), Twitter (@gcs_pei), and Instagram (gcspei) accounts.
- Each PEI radio station regularly announces delays/closures (as “Public Schools Branch”)
- The CBC Stormcentre website (http://www.cbc.ca/stormcentre/pei/) (as “Public Schools Branch”)
- The PEI radio station websites also post delays/closures on their sites (as “Public Schools Branch”)
- Families can opt in to a GCS text message notification. If school is delayed or canceled, a text message can be sent from GCS to one cell phone in the family to notify of the delay/closure. This is an OPT-IN ONLY program. If you would like to use this option, please email Jordan Ellis (email@example.com) with the cell phone number that you want to have the text message notification be sent to. If you opted in last year and still have the same cell phone number, it is already still in the system.
We strongly encourage you to follow us on one of our social media platforms and to register for our text message system for cancellations if you haven’t already.
*If you are having trouble connecting with us, please let me know and I will do my best to help get us connected.
If school is closed (not simply delayed), any after-school or extra-curricular activities will also be cancelled (such as sports, after school care, clubs, etc).
Christmas Service Project:
Learning through service allows every student at GCS to move their focus from themselves to the needs of others. Not only does this expand their sense of compassion for others, but also allows them to demonstrate how Christ can use them to make a difference at any age. What a better time than the holiday season to share the love of Jesus with others in our community? As this year’s Christmas Service Project, the kindergarten students have written a letter to a class from a Christian School in Alberta. Our children were very eager to tell of all the adventures we have in kindergarten and the excitement of the new building God is providing for us. It has been so sweet as they share how they will be praying for this group of students.
Things to watch for this week include:
Monday: Computers and Gym
Tuesday: Reading Buddies and Music
*Grade 10 will share their Christmas Service Project in our class
Wednesday: Chapel, Money for Milk and hot lunch orders due please
Thursday: Music, Library books to be returned please
Friday: Computers, Gym and Library
December 14 – Christmas Program Everyone is welcome! Kindergarten students will be singing with the Elementary students during the performance.
December 22 – Christmas Parties (Half Day) All students are to be picked up at 12:00 please
December 23 – January 7 – Christmas Break (no school)
January 8 – First School Day of 2018
Have a good weekend.
See you on Monday.
Mrs. Laura Perry