…the children are nestled all snug in their beds…
While “It’s minus 30..” the weather man said.
If you are new to Prince Edward Island, it is important to know that even though there is not a lot of snow on the ground, it is very cold outside. Please send your child dressed in winter boots, snow pants, snow coat, hat and mitts etc. Also, thank you for packing an extra pair of socks as snow has a way of getting into boots, causing wet socks, discomfort, and the wonderful aroma of stinky feet.
School Cancellations & Delays
When announcements are made for a delay or closure, GCS follows the PEI Public Schools Branch. Alternatively, sometimes only certain schools will be delayed or closed and will be announced by “family of schools”; GCS follows the Bluefield Family, Colonel Gray Family, and Charlottetown Rural Family of schools. If any of these are delayed or canceled, GCS will be also.
In the case of a “one-hour delay”, school will begin at 10:00am, while a “school closure” or “system wide shutdown” results in no school at all for the day.
There are a number of ways to know if there is a school delay or closure; they are as follows:
- We will post on the GCS Facebook (Grace Christian School – Prince Edward Island), Twitter (@gcs_pei), and Instagram (gcspei) accounts.
- Each PEI radio station regularly announces delays/closures (as “Public Schools Branch”)
- The CBC Stormcentre website (http://www.cbc.ca/stormcentre/pei/) (as “Public Schools Branch”)
- The PEI radio station websites also post delays/closures on their sites (as “Public Schools Branch”)
- Families can opt in to a GCS text message notification. If school is delayed or canceled, a text message can be sent from GCS to one cell phone in the family to notify of the delay/closure. This is an OPT-IN ONLY If you would like to use this option, please email Jordan Ellis (email@example.com) with the cell phone number that you want to have the text message notification be sent to. If you opted in last year and still have the same cell phone number, it is already still in the system.
We strongly encourage you to follow us on one of our social media platforms and to register for our text message system for cancellations if you haven’t already.
*some families have let me know that they have had difficulty signing in **please let me know if this is happening to you also, so we can help and avoid frustration
Please note that if school is closed (not simply delayed), any after-school or extra-curricular activities will also be cancelled (such as after school care, clubs, etc).
Student Teacher- Please Welcome Mr. Wood
Please join me in welcoming Mr. Mike Wood to the Grade 5/6 classroom. Mr. Wood will be joining us for a period of 14 weeks to complete his teaching practicum. He has studied at Kingswood University in Sussex, NB and is eager to begin working with the staff and students of GCS.
New School Addition
We are looking forward to the grand opening of our school’s new addition in September 2018. We hope your child will be enrolled to join us in our new classrooms.
We would appreciate you emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, January 12th, 2018 to confirm that your child will be attending Grace Christian School this fall.
Monday: Computers, Gym and vote on Arctic Animal to investigate
Tuesday: Reading Buddies, Music, Art
Wednesday: Chapel, Milk Money and Lunch Money due please
Thursday: Music; please return any Library books found at home
Friday: Computers, Gym, Library, Christmas Show and Tell *parent approved item that will fit in kit bag
Feb 2 – Professional Development Day (school is closed)
Feb 8 – Parent Teacher Conferences (pm)
Feb 9 – Parent Teacher Conferences (am) – No Class
Feb 19 – Islander Day – No Class Families spend the day together
See you all in the morning!